Midline diastema refers to the space present between the central incisors.
- NORMAL DEVELOPING DENTITION: during the ugly duckling stage midline diastema is present which closes off its own after the eruption of canines.
- HABITS: habits such as tongue-thrusting, thumb sucking can lead to midline diastema.
- FRENAL ATTACHMENT: the fleshy mass of tissue connecting the lip and the gingiva is frenum. When this mass of tissue is even more thick can cause midline diastema. For such patients, we do frenectomy followed by fixed orthodontic treatment.
- SIZE OF THE TOOTH: patients with smaller tooth size can also cause midline diastema.
- Removable appliances such as “FINGER SPRINGS”
- Fixed orthodontic appliances.
- Fixed partial dentures in
patients with microdontia.
- MIDLINE CLOSURE using light
cure composite resin materials
Recently we did a MIDLINE CLOSURE for one
of our patient as she didn’t want to go for fixed orthodontic treatment.