Toothache also known as dental pain, is pain in the teeth and/or their supporting structures, caused by dental disease or pain referred to the teeth by non dental diseases.
The various causes for toothache are
1.DECAY -is the main reason for tooth loss.
BACTERIA release some acids over the tooth surface it destroys the ENAMEL [outer layer], DENTIN [second layer], PULP[cause pain].
2. GUM INFECTIONS – BACTERIA forms plaque over the tooth surface, after some days it turns to calculus. Calculus irritates the gums and causes inflammation which leads to exposure of cementum. If the periodontal diseases are untreated they may cause bone loss around the affected tooth.
3. TOOTH GRINDING can cause wear of tooth, gums, bone loss, jaw, and joint pain.
4. DAMAGED FILLINGS if not taken care may lead to exposure of tooth and lead to further damage.
5. ABSCESSED TOOTH: severe /continuous tooth pain indicates abscessed/ infected tooth. Early treatment of these conditions can prevent further bone loss.
6.IMPACTED WISDOM TEETH: Impacted wisdom teeth doesn’t emerge fully from the gums. Wisdom teeth may cause pain due to pressure caused by these teeth on the adjacent teeth, or pressure caused by impinging of nerve canal, or due to infection of the gums around the partially erupted wisdom teeth. We always recommend removing the wisdom teeth which are partially erupted or impacted and are prone to be infected or may cause problems.
7. INJURED JAW: A Toothache may start after an injury/trauma to the jaws.