Orthognathic Surgery: A Transformation
Everyone likes a makeover to feel confident and beautiful. What if it comes in a permanent way without scars and complications? Achieving features like a strong chin, a slender nose, high cheekbones are now not just dreams but reality through orthognathic treatment.
Face and jaws are not a part of appearance but articulate functions such as chewing, speech, swallowing, etc. Improper position or size or shape of jaws affects these functions and appearance significantly, thus reducing the quality of life.
So what is this life-changing Orthognathic treatment procedure?
It is no trick but a well-established proven “jaw surgery”, also known as orthognathic surgery (“straighten jaws” in greek) by which shape and position of the jaw bones and teeth can be corrected to improve function and appearance. The upper and lower jaws, along with the nose and chin can be repositioned or modified to suit the needs of the patient. These surgeries are done by oral and maxillofacial surgeons who are trained to study facial proportions with the identification and correction of abnormalities.
- Difficulty in chewing closing lips
- Jaw size and shape defects eg. Cleft
- Weak chin / sunken face / long face/ protruded jaws/ asymmetric face/ open bite
- Mouth breathing, sleep apnea
What Orthognathic treatment can provide you
- Make chewing and speech easier
- Correct bite issues (open bite, underbite, overbite, crossbites)
- Correct facial imbalance (asymmetry, protruded or retruded jaws, chin)
- Relieve joint pains and obstructive sleep apnea
Orthognathic treatment not only involves the correction of jaws but also is accompanied most of the time with orthodontic treatment to align the malpositioned teeth either before and/or after the surgery. Not all bite problems can be corrected by orthodontic treatment as many a time the jaw housing the teeth is abnormal.
How To Go About It?
At the Richardsons Dental and Craniofacial Hospital, when a patient walks in with any complaint related to face esthetics or function:
Upper and lower jaws are operated by moving them ( either upward, forward, backward, setdown, rotated) and fixing them in new positions using titanium plates and screws.
How Is It After Surgery?
- Minimal Pain And Swelling
- Diet Maintenance ( Liquid Diet For Up to 5 Days, Soft Food Up to 2-3months)
- Adjustment To A New Facial Appearance
- Discharge After 3-5 Days Of Surgery With Proper Follow Up Instructions
Orthognathic surgeries are life-changing in their results when planned properly. It’s a scarless safe surgery that addresses problems with both facial appearance and daily functions to promise a better quality of life! So what are you waiting for?