TOOTH SENSITIVITY-AN OVERVIEW !!!
Tooth sensitivity is one the most common
complaints that a patient enters with , into a dental clinic. Sensitivity is a
brief sensation caused by the exposure of dentin, the layer beneath the hard
white enamel surface due to the external stimuli.
Causes of tooth sensitivity:
- Ingestion of hard , acidic
foods ,Aerated drinks etc.
- Aggressive brushing habits and
using a hard bristled brush.
- Cavities involving the dentinal
layer of the tooth.
- Recession of thegums in older people
- Cold weather
- Bruxism or night grinding
- Sinus infection
Prevention of tooth sensitivity:
- Using fluoridated toothpaste.
- Using a soft bristled brush.
- Abstaining from highly acidic drinks.
- Consult a dentist to identify the cause of sensitivity.
- If the tooth sensitivity is due to tooth decay-restoration is the ideal choice of treatment
- If due to bruxism, wearing a mouth guard will help.
- If due to enamel erosion- Suitable interventions are fluoride therapy ,gingival graft surgery as per the dentist’s recommendation.
- If these procedures are not effective – root canal therapy is recommended.