The miracle for balding hair – Hair Transplant Surgery!
Hair Transplant – Hair loss over a prolonged period of time causes balding of the head. It is one of the most common complaints for which patients visit a doctor. While the problem of hair loss and hair thinning can be managed by conservative means if caught at an early stage, no medicines or topical lotions work effectively at end-stage of balding. For such people, hair transplant surgery is like a miracle surgery which restores their confidence and social interactions.
Hair Transplant Surgery : How is the procedure done?
Hair transplant surgery involves taking hair follicles from the back of the head, which are genetically resistant to balding and putting them in the bald areas. The hair follicles are extracted from the back of the head using micro drills which leave only a fraction of a millimeter’s scar, which upon healing is invisible to the eye. The whole procedure is performed under local anesthesia and can be done in a single session or multiple sessions depending upon the amount of coverage needed. After a certain period usually between 4-8 months, new hair begins to grow in these grafted sites which are just like natural hair. This new hair can be combed, shampooed and styled just like natural hair. The site from where the hair was taken heals completely in about two weeks without any telltale signs!
Care before and after surgery…
- For good results, it is advisable for patients to be on vitamins essential for hair growth as well as apply minoxidil hair solution for a few months before the surgery. A good head bath is essential on the day of the surgery.
- After the surgery, shampooing is to be avoided for 10 days, exposure to harsh wind, sun, etc is to be avoided for a week and the area is to be kept moist at all times till the first 4-5 days. We advise patients to start with the minoxidil lotion again two weeks after surgery for optimal results.
- At follow-ups, we regularly assess the patients need for adjunctive laser therapy or PRP injection therapy.
- The hair transplant procedure isn’t limited to just the head. Here at Richardsons dental and craniofacial hospital, it is also done for eyebrows, mustache, beard, etc which were lost due to various reasons like trauma, surgical scar, etc.
- It is one of the most rewarding surgeries for the patient without having any side effects. Good hair coverage can do wonders for a person suffering from baldness, who has been avoiding social functions, interactions or feels aged.