What is hair transplant treatment?
Hair transplant treatment is a type of daycare surgery wherein hair follicles are removed from the back of the head (donor area ) and reimplanted in the front part of the head ( recipient area ). It’s teamwork and the hair transplant surgeon along with his members usually work with loupes. Depending on the number of hair follicles that need to be transplanted, the time taken varies.
Is it Scarless?
The Follicular unit extraction or the FUE technique is a permanent and sutureless technique, performed only at Richardsons Craniofacial Hospital. The FUT technique, on the other hand, leaves behind a tiny scar. No worries, we do not perform this in our hair clinic.
Is Hair Transplantation painful?
“To be honest, the surgery looks more painful than what it actually is!!” – this is what most of the patients who have undergone the procedure at our Hospital have told us. This might be because we do hair transplant surgery in the operation theater with an anesthesiologist who knows the best about pain management.
Our skillful surgical team gives blocks in such a way that the patients encounter very little or no discomfort during the procedure. In fact, around 50% of our patients dose off listening to good music while we do the transplantation.
Best Practices Followed Post-surgery:
- Although mild, swelling might increase after 24 hours of the procedure in a good percentage of the patients. So we put the patients on enzyme supplements that reduce this post-operative oedema.
- The post-operative dressing on the back of the head stays on until day 3.
- Post-procedure, we put the patient on analgesics for 3-4 days.
- We highly recommend avoiding head baths for 9 days, but body showers are not an issue.
- A good percentage of people get back to work after day 4.
- It is good to avoid swimming and gym for a month.
- Along with the surgery, the patient is placed on laser therapy, cyclical therapy, and some lotions and shampoo as need be.
How much does it cost?
The cost does vary for each case, but it can be done for as little as USD 500. Having said that, for 3500 follicles, the charge can go up to USD 2000. The laser therapy, cyclical therapy including PRP (if needed) would cost around USD 200/month at most. But, we have made this an affordable procedure for a lot of people. At Richardsons Dental and Craniofacial Hospital (in an NABH accredited hospital setup), an experienced hair team performs the surgery in the operation theater with the support of an anesthesiologist.