People opt for eyelid surgery to remove excess skin or tissue around the eyes, improving its functionality and aesthetic appearance. However, multiple factors influence post-surgery recovery, including general health and the body’s natural response to the procedure. At Richardson’s Dental And Craniofacial Hospital, we recommend that you prepare in advance to minimize any eyelid surgery side effects.
Here are a few guidelines to help you obtain the best possible results:
- Medications like aspirin, over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medicines, dietary supplements, etc., can interfere with your surgical procedure. It would be best if you discontinued these medicines two weeks before surgery.
- If you are a smoker, this is the best time to give up the habit since nicotine and tobacco can delay healing and may even cause scarring. Tobacco intake through other forms can also interfere with the healthy blood flow required to promote healing. It would help if you stopped smoking at least two weeks before surgery.
- Avoid sun damage by wearing a sunscreen of SPF 30 to SPF 50 two weeks before surgery.
- Physicians also advise against solid or fluid food intake before the procedure.
Surgery Day Preparations:
- You must strictly avoid solids and liquids on the day of surgery, except for essential medications that can be taken with a sip of water.
- Do not wear contact lenses; choose glasses instead.
- You must also avoid face and eye make-up, along with nail polish.
- You will be prescribed an antibiotic and pain medications after the surgery to keep you comfortable and prevent infection.
- The surgeon suggests applying iced gauze to the eyes and cheeks for the first 48 hours to reduce swelling and discoloration around the area.
- You must keep your head elevated with the help of a pillow or a recliner to minimize swelling.
- Clean the external eyelid incisions gently and regularly.
- On average, a full eyelid surgery recovery time is around a month. Wait until 2-3 weeks post-surgery to wear contact lenses.
- Though you can start light walking 3-4 days after surgery, avoid extreme physical activities in the initial three weeks.
- Avoid sun and bright light exposure until six weeks after surgery, as heat may cause the face to swell.
Though the overall eyelid surgery cost in India is affordable compared to western countries, patients must consider the complications involved in the procedure. The charges may vary depending on the city and the type of hospital you choose. We offer cost-effective eyelid surgery procedures at Richardson’s Dental And Craniofacial Hospital.
To achieve the best results from eyelid surgery:
- Ensure that you choose the best eyelid surgeon in India to relieve eyelid problems and restore a natural and more youthful appearance.
- Take help from family and friends in the weeks after surgery to assist you with medication and running errands.
- During recovery, spend time away from bright light and devices like television screens, phones, and computers to rest your eyes.
- Do not miss follow-up doctor visits to ensure timely recovery.